Saturday, February 9, 2008

Only Two Weeks Left

It's only two weeks and a few hours away.
Kathleen and I have been training for the Mardi Gras Marathon for 16 weeks--four full months. Four months ago, when we started our training for a half marathon, running more than two miles was a huge struggle. Now, as I am two weeks away from running the full 26.2-mile marathon, I feel like my Sunday run of 12 miles is no big deal. My mom even said that it "was nothing", especially compared to the 20-mile and 18-miles of the previous weeks.
It is pretty nerve wrecking to think that the hardest part of the training is over. With only two weeks to go, we are in the middle of the taper, which means we're running less and less every week. The final week before the marathon features only 9 total miles--the same total as the first week of training.
Of course, the final week is capped by a grueling 26.2 mile race around all of New Orleans, where the first week was capped by a 6 mile jog around Uptown.
While I am anxiously awaiting race day, I want to point everyone to the St. Bernard Project website and the 'Donate' link on the right side. Kathleen and I started the training months ago not only out of some personal desire to punish our bodies, or even to get in shape, but mostly out of a desire to raise money for St. Bernard Project, a great organization that is helping families return to Katrina-ravaged St. Bernard Project. Every dollar you donate to the Project will help rebuild damaged homes in the devestated area of the Gulf Coast.
Look around their website. Kathleen and I have dedicated countless hours of training in the hope that we can raise money for the organization. If you've got some time, please try and help them out.

No comments: