Sunday, February 17, 2008

One Week Out

Holy Crap.
A week from now, I will be either eating a huge meal while trying to ignore the pain in my legs, or I'll be laying in my bed trying to sleep and ignoring the pain in my legs. I will have run 26.2 miles straight.
My feelings have actually been relatively calm regarding the marathon. Occasionally I freak out--in particular with the taper--but I really do trust that our training has been good enough that we'll finish in good time. But as I get closer and closer to it, the reality of finishing a marathon begins to sink in more.
Today was the last so-called 'long run'. But the length wasn't really long at all: only 8 miles. We ran on a pretty scenic route up and down the levee into and out of Jefferson Parish, through The Fly (next to the Mississippi), and then back to Magazine Street. It was a beautiful afternoon.
I'm going to miss the long Sunday afternoon runs. Even today, I felt like running for another hour or so, just because I haven't been on a long run in a few weeks. I never expected to have that feeling, but I do.
Only one week left...only one week left to help St. Bernard Project while we're still training, too.
We feel good about the amount of people and money who have donated so far to the project. We thank you all very much. We're hoping to rack in more donations this week to keep buying Sheetrock, insulation, cabinets, sinks, tubs, and everything else that goes into remaking a house that had been flooded. Here are the two links, the first one to DONATE and the second one to the St. Bernard Project site:
Donate
www.stbernardproject.org
Thanks for reading! Later this week we'll talk about the times we want to beat and pre-race preparations...
Bob

No comments: