Monday, February 25, 2008

Gratitude

A day after the race, I am still doing "the wobble" whenever I try to move anywhere and have taken to walking down steps backward as it much less painful than the conventional method. Still, training and running the marathon has been one of the best experiences of my life so far and I wouldn't trade my sore muscles for anything.
I would just like to tell everyone how grateful we are for all of the support you gave us. It's a cliche, but it was truly a humbling experience to know that so many people were thinking of us. I had calls and e-mails from numerous uncles, aunts, cousins, and friends wishing me good luck and then congratulating me afterwards. My friend in the Peace Corps in Morocco took the time to tell her friends about the run and encourage them to donate to SBP. Other friends stayed at the finish line to cheer me on even though it was getting late and Bob had finished forty minutes before me. Liz and Zach were at City Park just at the time when I really needed someone to cheer me on. Our friend Wes rode along with Bob for a few miles at the end of the marathon to take some of the pain off of his mind.
Jenn and I talked about how much we appreciated the complete strangers who cheered us on along the length of the course. There was the couple in Mid-City who played "Hey Pockey-Way;" the woman on the bridge in City Park who told every runner they were looking strong, no matter how horrible they actually looked; the men in red dresses giving out water on mile 19; and the man on the bike who rode through the course several times to tell everyone they were doing great. And, of course, we had the full support of our parents and siblings through till the very end.
We would also like to thank all of those who donated to the St. Bernard Project. We should have the final tally of how much money we raised soon. If you would still like to donate just look to the following links:
Donate
www.stbernardproject.org

Thanks again and again for everything. We could not have been so successful without all of your love and support.

In gratitude,
Kathleen

No comments: